With UBCSS, you will have access to a full spectrum of confidential services. We are one of the largest providers of behavioral and mental health services in Cecil and Harford counties in Maryland.
Our staff includes psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, psychologists, social workers, licensed professional counselors, nurses, rehabilitation counselors, residential counselors, and case managers.
We serve a wide array of individuals—more than 5,000 annually who have behavioral or mental health concerns. Also, approximately 2,500 individuals access our community education services every year.
Your insurance will probably cover our services. We accept medical assistance and Medicare, most commercial insurances, and also private pay clients.
We are a mission-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Upper Bay Counseling & Support Services provides a broad and expanding range of high quality behavioral health and community services. We promote wellness and uphold the dignity of our consumers. We are dedicated to excellence, through creativity, flexibility, and teamwork. We serve and advocate for individuals, families, and communities.
UBCSS will improve the quality of life of everyone we serve.
The values of UBCSS guide and shape the actions of staff and consumers. The primary values are Respect and Integrity.
Respect is demonstrated by professional interactions that display dignity, compassion, and sensitivity. Services are consumer-centered, strength-based, and grounded in personal choice.
Integrity is demonstrated by unity of purpose and method throughout the system of care. It is accomplished through coordination of effort, flexibility in responsiveness, and accountability at every level of the organization.
Upper Bay is governed by a Volunteer Board of Directors comprised of local community members:
- Kevin Urick – Assistant State’s Attorney, Office of the State’s Attorney
- Michael Gordon – Independent Consultant
- Clinton Reddig – Precision Networks, Inc.
- Patricia D. Folk – Political/Community Advocate
- Karolyn Bowe – Assistant Public Defender, Office of the Public Defender CINA
- Nancy Hall – Owner, 501(c) Solutions
- Jason Brady – Director, Supply Chain, Orbital ATK, Inc.
- Bronwyn Martin – Financial Advisor, Martin’s Financial Consulting Group
- Sharyn Nesnow – Real Estate Agent, Patterson Schwartz Real Estate
- Alan Sexton – Business Services Representative, Susquehanna Workforce
- Cynthia Wingate – LCSW-C – Salisbury University (retired)
- Suanne Blumberg – CEO, Upper Bay Counseling & Support Services, Inc.
Upper Bay Counseling & Support Services, Inc. is a non-profit organization that was formerly part of the Cecil County Health Department. UBCSS separated from the state system in 1997 when the public mental health system changed from a grant-based system to a managed-care (fee for service) system. In 2002, UBCSS expanded its service area to include Harford County.
In addition, UBCSS became a CARF accredited organization in 2014. CARF is the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. In October of 2014, CARF International awarded UBCSS a Three-Year Accreditation, which represents the highest level of accreditation that can be awarded to an organization.
UBCSS provides a comprehensive array of behavioral health services to the community. The programs provided by this agency include:
Outpatient Programs & Services
- individual & family assessment
- medication evaluation & management
- case coordination/management
- short-term therapy groups
- school-based therapy
- intensive outpatient programs
- intensive summer programming
- crisis intervention services
- community awareness & education
- substance use counseling
- early childhood services
- child psychiatric rehabilitation
- supported employment programs
- adult psychiatric rehabilitation
- adult residential rehabilitation
- community & specialized services
- parenting education & support
- mental health case management
- customized EAP programs
- pre-employment screenings
- employee workshops
- professional growth workshops
- anger management workshop
- transitional aged youth programs